This is my first experience receiving a nomination and I am humbled and honored by the recognition, particularly being so new at this. I have received so much valuable support and encouragement from noblethemes ! Profound thanks to you Jonathan . I feel like I am growing as a person, expanding my universe, and thoroughly enjoying the adventure of connecting to this global community. There are so many inspiring, thought provoking, encouraging blogs to read!
Part of accepting this recognition is answering some questions posed by the nominator. Thank you for these particular questions my friend, as I have to really put some thought into this! Always a good thing.
So, here we go:
1. If you had the power to make one change to our world, what would you change?
I actually know this one right away…
I think the world’s systems have become so much more about the profit margin than the people. There are truly noble souls working within the various institutions that comprise this system, but the policies seem to focus away from the individual and toward the benefit of the business or the market. And it all feels so out of control.
2. What do you consider the most meaningful social change to come out of the 1960’s?
That, in my humble estimation, would have to be the victories won by the civil rights movement. I think the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 are examples of this.
3. If you could time travel, to which era would you want to go and why?
My grandmother was born in 1911. I would like to have grown up with her and known her as perhaps a sister. She continues to inspire me and is the answer to the question about role models…yet to come…
4. Who is or are your role model(s)?
…My grandmother, Mary Ellen Townsend Harris. She is now 104 years old. She and my father, Hugh Townsend Harris, both laid a solid foundation for my life on this earth. My relationship with God and the way I think have deep roots in their examples. I could write a whole lot more on this. Maybe bloggy bits to consider?
5. What did you want to do when you grew up and what are you doing now?
Something else to blog about! The short answer is this: I wanted to be a wife and mother more than anything. The reasons why are too much to dive into here. I was blessed to have 5 fantastic children and, for the most part, raise them while being a homemaker. Other things I dreamed about were singing (which I did for awhile), preaching (and I’ve preached a few times), acting (of course, life is a stage is it not?), and being a lawyer defending the unjustly accused. In my adult life I have fantasized about being the Lara Croft of the mission field, smuggling food and medical aid to people stranded by storm or war. I don’t really have the stamina for that anymore though.
At 53 I am on my own and figuring it out all over again.
6. Where do you see yourself in 10 years time and what will you be doing?
I get a kick out of that question! I couldn’t have predicted 10 years ago where I am now! Life has taught me in the past 5 years that everything can change in an instant. I pray to have a job I can work into my old age so as to offset the burden on my children. That weighs most heavily on my mind. As I am starting anew in Texas at the beginning of September I can say there is a world of possibility awaiting me. I would like to return to Europe for another visit where my oldest son lives with his family. I want to be able to visit all of my children and grandchildren regularly. ( I don’t want much, do I? )
7. Why do you use social media?
To stay in touch with people, particularly my kids:)
8. How has social media changed your life?
It offers insight into people and my internal response offers insight into me. So I grow. I find out all manner of interesting information I would probably be oblivious to otherwise.
Now I need to ask some questions of my nominees for the Brotherhood of the World Award! Yay! I will borrow at least a couple from noblethemes :
- If you had the power to make one change to our world, what would you change?
- What keeps you strong when you face challenge and heartache?
- Who is/are your role model(s)?
- If you’ve seen the movie Divergent, which faction would you choose? If you’ve not seen the movie, how do your gifts and talents plug into the world at large?
- Is technology changing the way we live too rapidly?
- If you could time travel, which time would you travel to and why?
That should do it! Now on to my nominations for the Brotherhood of the World Award (not quite 10 but I’m just beginning to get connected):
- A Journey With You
- My Crazy Life
- The Good Vader
- The Krystol Meth(od)
- M MALMCRONA
- and (whether appropriate or not…) the one blogger who has really demonstrated the meaning of world brotherhood to me personally…noblethemes
And now for the rules:
Thank and link back to the person who nominated you for the award.
- List the rules and display the Brotherhood of the World Award logo to your post and/or blog.
- Answer the questions sent to you.
- Nominate (around ten) bloggers.
- Create your set of questions for your nominees.
Have fun! Find joy! Be blessed!